Air Pollution Control for SRU
World leader in air pollution control systems for refinery solutions, DuPont Clean technologies has worked on over 200 refinery pollution control projects of which more than 30 are for Sulfur Recovery Unit (SRU) tail gas scrubbing applications. As robustness, flexibility, and reliability are key to refinery operations, we recommend the DynaWave® wet scrubbing technology for SRU applications. As a holistic scrubbing supplier, DuPont Clean Technologies provides BELCO® wet scrubbing technology, the global standard for controlling refinery flue gas emissions from Fluidized Catalytic Cracking Units (FCCU's), fluid cokers, fired heaters, and boilers.
Sulfur Recovery Units (SRU)
Oil refineries, natural gas processing units, coal gasification and other chemical plants use the Claus process to recover elemental sulfur from H2S containing gas streams. This Claus plant is often called the Sulfur Recovery Unit, the SRU unit or the Sulfur plant. An optimized Claus plant can achieve sulfur recovery of up to 98.5%. This leaves about 1.5% or more of the sulfur species in the tail gas.
Typically, in order to comply with local environmental regulations, a Tail Gas Treatment (TGT) process will be installed downstream of the SRU, to take care of the remaining sulfur, before it is all incinerated to SO2 and vented to the atmosphere. There are various types of TGT processes such as amine based processes, sub-dew point processes or oxygen enriched processes. They all have different ways of operating, different efficiencies, different investment costs and different plot space requirements.
OPTIMIZE YOUR CLAUS TAIL GAS TREATMENT CONFIGURATION
No matter which TGT process is chosen, for ultimate reliability – when one of these units is in Start Up, Shutdown or Malfunctioning (SSM) mode – a DynaWave® wet gas scrubber just before the stack can guarantee emission compliance at all times. This small add-on unit will guarantee SO2 emissions below the required limits without having to shut down the plant when the SRU and/or TGT are down and bypassed.
The unique flexibility of the DynaWave® technology offers ultimate reliability and guarantees low SO2 stack emissions, regardless whether the upstream units (Claus and/or TGT) are in upset conditions or not. In addition, the same unit makes it possible to achieve ultra-low emission levels during normal operating conditions. The low CAPEX investment along with the outstanding operational comfort and increased overall reliability result in an optimized Claus tail gas treatment configuration. As such, the DynaWave® technology allows for significant capital cost savings in the main TGT process selection with reduced equipment, smaller footprint and significantly less complexity than a typical amine based TGTU set-up.
Features and benefits of
DynaWave® Wet Scrubbing Technology for SRU
ULTIMATE SRU/TGTU RELIABILITY:
- Unique operational flexibility:
- Process entire SRU (tail gas) stream during SRU/TGTU shutdowns or upsets
- Reach ultra-low SO2 emission levels during normal SRU/TGTU operation
- Large turndown on acid removal and able to handle elemental sulfur entrainment
- Guaranteed low SO2 stack emissions
- Field proven with > 500 DuPont Clean Technologies designed scrubbing references worldwide
- Low maintenance: large unpluggable nozzles & no packing material
- Fully oxidized effluent, ready for Waste Water Treatment plant
- Minimal control instrumentation
- Single vessel (in lieu of stand-by installed spare TGTU train)
- Ultra-low emissions may allow for a lower stack
- Small footprint
Further details can be found in the DynaWave® reverse jet scrubber for SRU brochure.
Read DynaWave® Reverse Jet Scrubber for SRU application
Find out how Taiwanese state-owned refining corporation CPC improved SO2 removal with DynaWave® technology and PETRONAS, the Malaysian National Oil Company, used DynaWave® technology for effective sulfur dioxide removal. Other adopters of DynaWave technology include Dangote Oil Refinery Company Ltd, Eni and the Taoyuan refinery in Taiwan.